January 24, 2012
Last week, I was nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award by Musings of the Amusing Muse, a fellow model who was recently nominated for the award herself. Pretty cool! It’s actually my very first blogger award, even after this long, so yea, thanks so much for thinking of me! :) Now that I’ve finally gotten some time to write about this… haha!
As part of being nominated, there are some rules I have to follow in order to fully accept the award. These rules also apply to folks I nominate for the award as well. It’s kind of one of those things that keep it fun and keep it going.
- Thank the award-giver and link back to them in your post.
- Share 7 random things about yourself.
- Pass this award along to 15 recently discovered blogs you enjoy reading.
- Contact your chosen bloggers to let them know about the award.
- Add the versatile Blogger Award pic on your blog post.
Not really all that hard, though I feel like finding 15 new blogs is going to be a challenge for me… but we’ll see. Anyway, onto the fun stuff!
7 Random Things About Me
- I’ve had glasses since I was 5, and up until 2 years ago wasn’t a candidate for Lasik because my eyes were still changing regularly. I’m still too afraid to get Lasik though.
- I’ve protested in front of 3 stores that sell puppies to raise awareness about puppy mills. Of those 3 stores, only one is still in business.
- I have 5 nieces and nephews, and love being the “cool aunt” who goofs around with them.
- My husband and I were together for 9 years before we got married.
- Growing up (and well into high school) I never thought I was pretty. Even now, I feel I’m more photogenic than pretty.
- I have over 80 pairs of shoes.
- I have a bedroom converted into a closet and dressing area. It’s pink. I call it “my boudoir”.
15 Recently Discovered Blogs I Enjoy Reading
I’ve kinda been on a fashion and crafty kick lately, with the startup of Suburban Style Challenge (don’t worry, I won’t nominate myself, haha), so… here you go.
- *Right-Click Save* A fashion blogger who concentrates on showing how she duplicates looks and how she wears trends. It’s fun, and she always has great ideas.
- Thanks, I Made It A DIYer who makes all kinds of wonderful crafty things, from glittery things to refashioning thrifted dresses into fab new frocks.
- Fab Fatale She focuses mostly on beauty stuff, but I became hooked on Manicure Mondays, where she shares mani ideas (with pics) and talks about new polishes she’s picked up.
- Caffeinerd A fashion blogger who doesn’t just post outfits, but shares recipes, wishlist items, and other fun stuff she does. I met her at a clothing swap and she’s super sweet.
- Dating in the QC A hilarious blog written by an anonymous girl in the Quad Cities about her dating life.
- SheerGlitz A blog dedicated mostly to fashion and beauty, sharing inspirations, ideas, and more.
- Laced in Leather This blog showcases celebrities, fashion, beauty, and behind-the-scenes stuff in an awesomely colorful way.
- Into-Mind A blog about psychology, fashion, DIY, and inspiration. A most interesting read on a regular basis.
- Project PEAR Promoting equality, awareness and respect. An excellent blog with a great message.
- DeliaSophia: The Model While this isn’t necessarily a blog I recently discovered, I always enjoy reading what she writes, and it’s well-written and excellent advice for models.
- NiftyThriftyGoodwill A great blog about thrifting, and how to look great without spending a ton of money.
- Not Just Mom Another fashion blogger I met at a clothing swap (also super sweet), she focuses on what she wore, and shares her challenges staying fashionable as a working mom.
- Lifevesting Always an interesting read, focusing on fashion, beauty, and other things that make the soul happy.
- Dress With Courage Another fashion blogger, but she’s a little different. She doesn’t just post her outfits, she also talks about body image and her struggles with it. An inspiration.
- Style Me Cheaply This blogger talks about more than just fashion, going into things like home decorating. Always enjoy when her posts come into my inbox.
There you have it. 15 new blogs (or blogs I’ve recently discovered) that I think you should check out, and that I think are worthy of the Versatile Blogger Award. So have at it, check them out while I let them know how awesome I think they are!
January 18, 2012
In case you’re not aware (and many people aren’t), there are 2 bills going thru the works right now that threaten to significantly change the Internet. They are the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA). The two acts have caused outcry and even widespread shutdowns across the Internet, because the way they’re worded, they’ll most likely censor those who don’t need to be censored, and do so without asking questions first–sort of a guilty before being proven innocent thing. Not good! Wikipedia
, and numerous
other websites (even the main WordPress “Freshly Pressed”
page and popular webcomic The Oatmeal
) have shut down today in protest of the acts, saying that censorship isn’t the way to go. And I agree.
Google has a petition on their website that you can sign if you’re against the acts. If you are, I strongly suggest voicing your opinion by signing the petition and spreading the word about it. Heck, share this post if you don’t know what to say yourself.
For more info on SOPA and PIPA, here’s some info:
Edit: SOPA is apparently being re-written right now, while PIPA is in the pipeline.
December 7, 2011
I’m on indefinite hiatus from modeling.
I’m most definitely not shooting until January, but am not sure when I’ll get in front of the camera again. I’m crazy busy, and I’m waiting for a piercing to fully heal.
I will still be blogging over at Suburban Style Challenge and active on FaceBook. Not sure if I’ll pick back up here regularly or not… I’ve been rather uninspired to write here lately, to be honest.
Oh, and I’m judging this awesome event with Raw Talent Clothing Co and Gonzo Photos on January 20. You should check it out (I’ll post a separate entry about it later on).
Do you really want to shoot with me after the holidays? Well, money talks. My rates are $50/hour for modeling and $25/hour for pose coaching (which I’ll be available for after New Year’s). Feel free to email me to set something up firstname.lastname@example.org.
August 17, 2011
So, at the urging of many, I’ve opted to start a new blog.
Don’t worry, this one’s not going anywhere! I’ll still be blogging here about modeling stuff. But I’m moving all my fashion-based ramblings to a new spot.
Feel free to subscribe! I’ll be linking that blog to my twitter and facebook as well, so yea, if you
stalk follow me in either of those places, you’ll likely be seeing the stuff. I’ve only got 2 posts up so far, but have another one in the works for sure.
May 23, 2011
It has, unfortunately, been confirmed that the female body found in blue Ford Focus pulled Saturday from the North Branch of the Chicago River was indeed Irma Sabanovic, who modeled under the name Ira Blackbird.
My thoughts are with her family and friends during their time of loss, and I’d like to express my deepest condolences. I’m sure I speak for many when I say I was hoping for a different outcome–one in which she was found alive and well, after a misunderstanding of sorts. I hope you all find peace soon.
May 22, 2011
It appears that Irma Sabanovic’s body has been found inside her car, which was pulled from the North Branch of the Chicago River on Saturday. At this point, it has not been released that it is her body for sure in the car, but the car matches the description of hers, and the plates match hers. The area of the river the car was pulled from makes sense with where she last texted a friend from as well. It is not looking good.
The good news (if you can call it that, with the circumstances) is that there appears to be no foul play involved, and her death seems to have nothing to do with the fact that she was a model. It seems to have simply been a case of misdirection. Still, it saddens me to think of how scared she must have been, and how worried her friends and family were. I truly wish this were not the outcome, and that, like a few of the other missing models I have posted about, this turned out to be a simple misunderstanding on someone’s part, and Irma was alive and well.
My thoughts are with Irma’s friends, family and colleagues during this difficult time, and I hope that they find peace soon.
April 26, 2011
I’ve added some new tabs and updated some information on myself, making it easier to get to know me, network with me, and book me. Some brief info on the new pages and what you can expect to find there.
This page was already there, but was pretty basic and long outdated. I removed my credits and moved them to a new page. Instead of listing my credits, I’ve listed a couple interviews I’ve done, my affiliations with some of the modeling websites I’m on, and links to both my Examiner page and my MeetUp group. You can check it out here: https://racheljay.wordpress.com/about/
Booking & Contact Info
This page is new, and lists my stats, rates, and contact information, and talks about the best way to book me. It also has links to the industry-related websites I spend the most time on. All that information is here: https://racheljay.wordpress.com/contact/
Rachel’s Notable Modeling Work
This page is also new, and is where I’ll be updating my list of credits (in order of oldest to newest). It is currently up to date, and you can view it here: https://racheljay.wordpress.com/work/
February 17, 2011
Check out my interview with Ron and Shawna of Photographer & Model!
Shout out to Christin C, who I should have mentioned, but forgot because they threw me with “other models or photographers” :( Sorry girl! You know I love you (and not just because you got me hooked on dirty martinis LOL)!!
January 24, 2011
I was just contacted by Ron over at www.photographerandmodel.com. They want to interview me for their Podcast! :) Supercool!
We’ll be recording February 11, and the episodes are released every Thursday at 1A. So you’ll probably get to hear my spot Feb 17th or so.
I’ll post more about this as it gets closer, but if you have any questions, feel free to add them to the comments and I’ll see if Ron and co-host would be willing to ask them.